Veggie Baked Ziti
We love pasta, but we don’t always love having all of our veggies. The best way to mask those veggies is to put them in some cheesy goodness. This meal is delicious, it is good for you, and it helps you get those veggies in if you have a hard time doing so.
What You Need:
1 8oz box uncooked whole wheat penne or ziti
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp Basil
1 Tbsp Oregano
1.25 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cups fresh spinach
8 oz Ricotta cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 3/4 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
- In a large pot, add olive oil, onions, garlic, zucchini and all seasonings. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef or turkey and brown until meat is no longer pink. Mix well. Add tomatoes and spinach. Mix and cook until spinach leaves are wilted.
- Combine the pasta and meat mixture. Stir in parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and the ricotta cheese. Mix well and spread evenly in your baking dish. Top with the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Let it set for 5 minutes after taking it out of the oven and cut into 8 equal portions.
21-Day Fix Container Counts
Beef/Turkey – 1 red
Zucchini/Spinach – 1 green
Cheese – 1 blue
Pasta – 1 yellow
Olive oil – 1 tsp
This meal tastes just as delicious with or without the veggies. If you are not in need of additional veggie servings, simply eliminate those ingredients, or switch them out with another veggie of your choice. This meal can definitely be modified to your liking!